ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snowed Leopard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:53 AM 

Anybody else think this much-heralded update a piece of polished dog turd?

I have SO many apps that won't work now and we cannot afford to pay to update them all. Plus some are no longer "in print", so I cannot update eben if I wanted.

Plus, I am having Bluetooth & sound glitches all over the place.

I hate, HATE the screen shot naming convention, but that is a relatively minor quibble.

Seems the system is slower than Leopard and to boot, I've had TOTAL system crashes (I am assuming memory issues?) in SL and NEVER in 10.5 or .3 or .4 for that matter.

I've read blogs & blogs of 10.6 horror stories and I no wanna add to those. But we bought the Mac Box Set & I am assuming that the included iWork 9 & iLife 9 won't work on 10.5, should I revert backwards, which I am heavily leaning towards. I honestly see no value in SL, I have Gigs of hard-drive space, so saving space is not a carrot.

Anybody got a reason why I should reconsider. My wife wants to upgrade on her MacBook Pro, but I am trying to dissuade her, I guess. Sigh.....

oh, and Fishers

Post subject: Snowed Leopard
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:15 AM 

Bob, seeing as how YOU are the only other person who populates this forum....

I went ahead and booted from my Super-Duper back-ed-up volume. So, I currently don't have a back-up, rather a drive running 10.5 & one with 10.6 on it still. I am trying to valiantly reset me mise en place with the old system.

I copied over the iTunes library files, so I didn't lose any recent additions to my library by reverting back to Leopard. Same for my Mail folders.

But what I CAN'T seem to figure is how do I copy over the necessary files to retain my Safari history from my stint in Snow Leopard? I copied over the actual app file, as it was the same version & build, I figured since it would run okay under 10.5, maybe the history is embedded there. Apparently not. Any help you can shed I'd gladly pay you Tuesday with a hamburger today (or words to that effect).

Rex

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:33 PM 

Rex,

Actually, Bob van Lier is here as well. I'm surprised I saw your post within a day. We're putting in a new system at work and I've been so exhausted that some nights I don't even turn on the Mac.

Anyway, to your question. Assuming you're using Safari 4 on Leopard (10.5), the history file is found in ~/Library/Safari (where ~ means your home directory). I'd simply copy over that entire directory since it contains your bookmarks and any saved form values as well.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 7, 2010 3:39 PM 
Site Admin

Rex,

Sorry to hear that you are having so many difficulties with Snow Leopard. I too had some problems when I first installed it and was crashing 2-3 times per day. It got worse to the point that I figured it might be my internal hard drive was going bad. It didn't support SMART. So I decided to replace it. Best thing I ever did. I restored from a recent Time Machine backup after installing the new drive, and I have not crashed since. That was almost 7 weeks ago! And I've used a lot of old programs and some questionable software (non mainstream from small shops or open source). Yes, some programs may not work, but they don't take down the whole system.

As for speed, I can't say that Snow Leopard is any slower, but certainly not faster than 10.5. I do think all of OS X is slower than Mac OS (<=9.2.1), but that tended to be on older hardware too so the faster hardware of today compensates. Program compatibility is always an issue, but if the author is still around and others have said that the program works on OS 10.6, it should work for you too. There are several sites on the web that have long lists of 10.6 compatible software. Here's one.

If you would be specific in what is going wrong perhaps Bob Carpenter and I can help. General non-specific crashing tends to be a bad installation of the OS or faulty hardware as it turned out in my case. If you think it may be your HD, and you have a good backup and time, reintialize your hard drive so that it checks all sectors and disables bad ones (write zeroes while it erases). Then boot from the install OS 10.6, disk and restore from backup or install a fresh copy of OS 10.6 on your clean HD, and restore the remainder from backup. Hopefully the 12 hours you take in doing this will be beneficial :wink: .