ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: File names ... Mac to PC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 6, 2007 8:22 AM 

Am not at all sure this is the best area to ask this question -- but I guess it's as good as any.

In using MS Word ... I know that it used to be that PC's :evil: would often truncate my longer Mac names for files. Is this still true? If so, what length of file name am I safe with, in sending files to people who use Word on their PC's, and not Macs?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:51 PM 

Suzanne Rampton wrote:
Am not at all sure this is the best area to ask this question -- but I guess it's as good as any.

In using MS Word ... I know that it used to be that PC's :evil: would often truncate my longer Mac names for files. Is this still true? If so, what length of file name am I safe with, in sending files to people who use Word on their PC's, and not Macs?

Thanks!!

Suzanne,

Nice to see you posting again!

Anyway, to your question, on Windows filenames can be 255 characters (if the Windows person is using FAT-32) or 32767 characters (if Windows person is using NTFS). I looked that up online. I certainly don't have this memorized.

Leaving out the alphabet soup, if the PC person is using Windows XP (or some installs of Windows 98 ), you should have plenty of space for your long filename.

The bigger thing to remember is to add the .doc file extension for Word because Windows doesn't have type/creator codes.

Bob C