ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:34 AM 

Hiya. I had a question I'm hoping someone can answer since I'm fairly new to using AirPort. I have been considering buying an AirPort base station and setting up a little home network, since at the moment we have two phone lines and two ISPs for four different computers, I figure some consolidation would be good, and I would like to move my iBook around the house more often, so... Here's my concerns.

I realize I should have no problem with the iBook and I can easily get an AirPort card and adapter for the iMac, but I have a desktop G3, and we have an eMachines PC too (I never use it, but its here.)

As I understand it, if I put an 802.11b compatible network card in the PC it should be able to link into the network, yes?

How about the Desktop G3... I've seen a D-Link PCI wireless network card (802.11b) that had the Mac logo on it, will this work? I realize I likely won't be able to use the AirPort software (no?) but all I'm concerned with really is getting them all online through the base station.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:29 AM 

There is some good news for you Ricky!
All of the machines will work on the Airport network, and all can access the admin client on the Airport.

In order:
As long as the devices are 802.11b, just as you indicated, you would be fine.
With the G3, you could use a PCI card or you could add a USB card and use a USB based device.

As for Admin. Very few people are aware that Apple makes and distributes an Airport Admin application for Windows. (I use it here at my office) you can find it BY CLICKING HERE

I currently have two Airport networks I administer. One is 10PC's, a Netware server and a Mac.
The other is one PC and two Macs.

If you need any help configuring, just send me an email.
I do have to say from experience though that the Airport is the best device to buy and use.

Bob M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:38 AM 

Ricky,

Normally, I'd chime in and say there are other base stations (wireless routers) available. Macworld magazine had a wireless router roundup in a recent issue. However, since you're looking to share a dialup Internet connection, the Airport is the only choice that I know of.

Also, if you're new to networking, the Airport has the best setup that I've heard of. It also looks a whole lot better than my Netgear "pizza box". :)

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:34 AM 

I'm actually considering switching to DSL possibly, maybe, y'know, sorta if Ameritech and Earthlink weren't my only two options at the moment. I checked several other companies but none of them likes my phone number, oh well.

Anyway, so on and so forth... heh.

The PC doesn't really need to admin the base station at all, I'd likely just use the iBook for that. Really the PC may not get a card, its been bad and doesn't get used often. Its serving a time out right now. My real concern was just my G3 desktop. (Which already has a USB card installed, but OS 9 doesn't like my CD-RW anymore) ???

Speaking of my CD-RW, I think I'll start a new thread on that once I try a few more things on it to make it go and watch as the computer fails to realize there's another CD drive sitting on top of it.

:)

RL