ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover content
PostPosted: Fri Nov 8, 2013 4:48 PM 

We have Power Mac 6100 & 7600 that have information in them. I'm looking for someone who can get some of it out either on CD or print. 7600 has dead battery. 6100 can be turned on. Do you know anyone I can take these to? Soon!
Joan Elliot

Post subject: Re: Recover content
PostPosted: Sat Nov 9, 2013 3:57 PM 
Site Admin

Joan, It seems we talked about these machines some time ago.

Did you talk to Mark Kippert at Help My Mac? If he was unable to help or no longer doing that kind of service, you can try MacExperience. There are also a few folks in the club that may be able to help, but you'd have to get the units to them in most cases. Nancy Dwyer does home service for an hourly fee.

Besides the dead battery in the 7600, does the 6100 boot up to a desktop when you turn it on? Do the CD-and floppy drives in the units work?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 PM 

I've sent a message to Mark asking if he can and has time for me to bring in these computers. When I didn't hear back, I "cast" my quest hoping someone could help. The most immediate problem is the 6100. It all seems to be working, but has no printer to connect it to. As I'm a technology dodobird, I have no idea whether it would work with the newer printers I have on hand. There is a lot of information housed in that computer that needs to be extracted. It's family history that we now have a family member interested in collecting. I can read it, hand copy it, or find some way to extract it in a usable fashion. I'll try to contact Mark again tomorrow to see if he has the time to do it.
MacExperience is still in moving mode. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and they were still "moving in" mode.
I just tried to copy some of it to a floppy disk. That works. Now, to find a way to copy this material to CD, or whatever new technology is replacing that. I may need Nancy's phone number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 AM 

Since the 6100 models all had aaui ethernet, another possible way is to use an aaui to RJ-45 ethernet adapter and an ethernet cable to network the 6100 to the newer Mac. It always take me some experimenting to get sharing set right on the two machines to make a connection, but once you do, you should be able to see both machines on one finder screen and drag/drop stuff between the two. Other possibilities might include external zip or cd-rom drives that you could use to copy stuff onto...then take the disk (and perhaps the external drive) to the second mac to read the stuff and save it there.
The 6100 uses scsi for external drives, cds, zips, etc. Newer models use usb...so its likely you might need a different external drive for each mac. If both are on email, can you email the material to yourself as an attachment from the 6100 and then receive that email/attachment on the newer mac and save the attached material? There are external usb floppy drives out there, so if nothing else works, saving to floppy disks on the 6100 and then reading/saving stuff off the floppies via an external usb floppy drive hooked to the newer mac (I'm assuming new enough that it doesn't have a built in floppy drive) might work.