ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 5, 2010 10:46 PM 

Every time I tried to installed Leopard on my IMAC G5 , 1.8MHZ Processor, 2GB of RAM, 240 GB hard drive, the fan started making a lot of of noise and I got the frighten Kernel panic window. I am using an original Leopard installation disk.
My machine runs TIgers without no problems. Apple specifications states that Leopard should work on Power G5 machines.
I searched the website and there is some conflicting information about it. Is there any tricks?Any suggestions? I definitely would like to run Leopard if possible. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 6, 2010 8:36 AM 

Antonio,

Yes, that G5 should be able to run 10.5 Leopard. During the installation, your fans can get loud. However, you should definitely not be getting a kernel panic.

Your 1.8Ghz processor with 2 GB of RAM is well above the system requirements.

I am guessing you either have a bad DVD or bad RAM that was not detected by Tiger. Those are the most common reasons for installation failures.

If you know how to use the Apple Hardware Test on your iMac DVD, you can see if it finds a problem with your memory. Unfortunately, the test isn't foolproof.

You might need to stop by the Apple Store and see a Genius depending on how comfortable you are with hardware.

I can see why you want to install Leopard since your G5 won't be able to run anything later than it.

Bob C

PostPosted: Thu May 6, 2010 9:15 AM 
Site Admin

I can certainly see why you are frustrated. Having gone through some rough times when upgrading, I can sympathize.

Like Bob Carpenter, I suspect some hardware problem is underlying the problem. So, is there enough disk space on the drive to accept an upgrade? Did you run Disk Utilities>repair disk to see if it located something? Are you doing an upgrade, an archive and install, or a clean install? The latter is safest, but you need to have a good backup before doing this so you can restore your data and applications. Have you been experiencing crashes that suggest either memory or disk problems? It was the latter in my case. Replacing the HDD solved the problem. Given the age of your computer, a bad HDD is well possible. You also said it had a 240Gb drive which is unusual. Apple installed either 80, 160 or 250 Gb drives in iMac G5s, so has the drive been replaced before?

PostPosted: Thu May 6, 2010 5:02 PM 

I did both upgrade and installed and full erased and installed. I changed the hard drive. I changed the RAM and I still have the same results. Should I tried a different Leopard DVD?.
Hard drive is 240 GB . I replaced it with a new hard drive to attempt to correct this problem but it did not work.

PostPosted: Thu May 6, 2010 5:11 PM 
Site Admin

Yes, You seem to have eliminated all the potential sources of the problem I mentioned so I'd try another Leopard Install DVD if you an get one. Hope you're not using a copied DVD. For some reason, install disks don't copy properly even though the copy software may say it copied successfully.

PostPosted: Thu May 6, 2010 10:39 PM 

It is not a CD copy. I do not have another one. I guess I will have to buy another one..

PostPosted: Fri May 7, 2010 8:58 AM 
Site Admin

I guess I'd try to return it to where I purchased it from or go to the Apple Store and and see if they'd swap it for you or install Leopard while you're there. Be sure to make an appointment with a "genius" before you go.

PostPosted: Fri May 7, 2010 9:24 AM 

I agree with Bob v. I'd definitely have a genius look at your iMac. I wouldn't keep spending more money just trying to find the problem. If you bring in your original Leopard DVD to the Apple Store, hopefully, they will be willing to try installing Leopard for you. Just be sure you have a full backup before you go. They may want to wipe out your data and do a clean install.

Bob C