ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:45 PM 

I want to install in my OSX 10.4.11 MacBook, software to create weave drafts. Instructions on eWeave website states that this can be installed on an Intel based Mac. Here is their statement:
"Apple Macintosh computers with Intel processors (non-PowerPC) can run eWeave and other Windows programs using either a dual boot program like Apple's Boot Camp or another windowing program such as Parallels or VMware Fusion. These programs allow both OSX and Windows XP to co-exist on the same computer. A copy of Windows XP is also required."

If I understand this correctly I must have Windows XP installed, then add Boot Camp or Parallels or VMware Fusion, in order to install eWeave.

Eleanor Best, if you are reading this, please respond. I'm assuming that you have had some experience in this area.

Anyone else's comments on my assumptions would be most welcome. Also, any feedback on Boot Camp, et al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 PM 

You would have to load Parallels or VMWare Fusion first and then load Windows XP (or whatever version of Windows you've bought to use with eWeave) into that program. Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion make it easy to install Windows so you can run Windows within Mac OS X.

Boot Camp is a full-speed, fully compatible version of Windows. The disadvantage is that you'll have to reboot your MacBook every time you wanted to use eWeave.

The disadvantage of Parallels and VMWare Fusion is that the emulated graphic cards are not as fast as what you have in your Mac. Most of the time this isn't a problem. However, if you're running modern games or 3D modeling programs, the graphics performance of Parallels and VMWare Fusion might not be good enough.

Bob C

Post subject: Boot Camp etc.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 PM 

Thanks, Bob, for the information. I've been conversing with a friend in CA who has a Mac and does design work. Her experiences with having Mac and PC in the same computer are less than happy. I'm not overly keen on installing Windows in this. I think I'll just stay with my graph paper and pencil since I don't need the software for a business. Thanks, again. I really appreciate all the assistance you provide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 PM 

It really depends on whether you're comfortable with keeping a Windows system safe (keeping up on software updates, downloading and updating anti-virus software, etc.). If the hassle of doing that outweighs the benefit of running Windows on your Mac, then you've made the right decision.

I'm hoping to do a demonstration at a future meeting on the different options for running Windows programs on your Mac.

Bob C

Post subject: Boot etc.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:49 PM 

I hope I can be there. I wish the meetings were somewhere nearer where I live.