ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:40 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:59 PM 

Been a while since I pestered y'all about anything.

Long preamble short: Last month my entire computer just ground to a halt (third logic board in as many years and MacExperience kept getting in even MORE defective parts), thus I spent several weeks dealing with Apple trying to resolve a repair before they decided to just replace the whole thing. Good for me, but it's been hell as I've transitioned from a Tiger mindset/workflow to a Leopard one. Seems Apple has rethought a number of desktop metaphors, some of which I am not keen, but I digress

The reason for my writing....

Seems there is some debate online as to whether it is prudent to have an Antiviral utility running or not. The more cavalier boast that a Unix-armored Mac doesn't NEED such a trifle. The guilt-ridden set sez, you better get it to protect their PC compatriots, who for some reason don't see fit to protect their own asses. And opinion varies vastly in between. There WAS a rave review of Norton AV11.0 in MacWorld recently, but the review was assailed by a host of tech weenies who buicked that the writer was a shill for ole Pete, etal. or off his ever-living rocker. And that Even though the much lamented late NUM was a thing of beauty, NAV has been nothing but a headache to say the VERY least. Seems to be a huge contingent of adherents to some program called VirusBarrier X5 and to a lesser extent, AVG. The only thing *I* know is that the former is pricey & the latter is free. And a passel of Shareware mentions in the middle from NOD32 to Avast to Avira to Kaspersky and Sophos. Not too many mentions of MacAfee (I didn't even know they DID Macs) nor Vrex. Also some mixed reports on the Trend Micro product Internet Security Pro which got top marks by Consumer Reports, uh, reportedly.

I just have had some very fluky goings-on on my new machine which repairing permissions, re-launching the desktop, zapping the PRAM, safe boots, tossing plists and all the usual troubleshooting techniques don't fix. This seems to be a next reasonable step.

Thots?

Rex Stocklin,
Fishers
rex@rexstocklin.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 8, 2008 9:10 PM 

Rex,

Step slowly away from the anti-virus program. :D

Seriously, I doubt that's your problem. If you really want to use one though, I'd recommend ClamXav. It has a good reputation and it's free. When our designers received their upgraded MacBook Pros, our consultant loaded ClamXav. At our office, having an anti-virus program loaded is essential because of all of the other Windows PCs in our office. It would also look very bad if we passed along a Windows virus to one of our volunteers.

Most of the anti-virus programs you've listed (AVG, NOD, etc.) will only work from Windows. I know you have an Intel Mac now, but it won't help to run a Windows anti-virus program when you're using OS X.

If you only download your software from trusted sources like MacUpdate and VersionTracker, your chances of getting a virus on your Mac are very low.

What are the "fluky goings-on"? Loading an anti-virus program would probably be my last desperate step. I'd try running something like DiskWarrior first, for instance.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:04 AM 

Bob Carpenter wrote:
Rex,

What are the "fluky goings-on"?

Bob C

One of the fluky goings-on that positively is driving me crazy is that I keep losing disk space on my main local volume.

Other than mail (which, truly shouldn't account for THAT much "Byteage", even IF I have a ton of spam, which I clean out daily anyway) the only NEW stuff I accumulate daily are podcasts, and yes, I DO subscribe to quite a few.

But before you go off on me on those ';-) ...just know that I've devised a rather meticulous method of storing those casts. I'll dl the casts as per normal, but I DON'T leave them on my main drive. Every night I copy those casts over to another attached drive, that has megatons of space, and relaunch them, so that iTunes finds them. Then I go back to iTunes and delete the orphaned podcast entries (the ones marked with the grey exclamation mark). It IS tedious, but this works. And, should I go a few days without doing this routine, only a coupla Gigs would accumulate (I think I might have about 50 podcasts and about 5% of them are video, so...).

At any rate, given what I am doing at the moment, the Available Disk Space should stay more or less stable (my mail collection notwithstanding), but it is NOT!!!! I started out this last week clearing off enough stuff from it to make about 20 Gigs of Unused space. It has gradually whittled its way down to today's reading of 8.46 Gigs!!!! I am crying here.

Oh and I clear my Safari cache from time to time to see if THAT has an effect. Not much.

And do you really think I can explain this easily enough to a foreign-national tech support agent for Apple who will clumsily walk me thru repairing my permissions and making sure my machine is plugged in? Yikes!

If any of you've any idears, I'm open....

Rex from Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 PM 

Rex,

I have two suggested programs that I use when I wonder where my disk space is going:

1. WhatSize

2. OmniDiskSweeper

WhatSize is $12.99 shareware and OmniDiskSweeper is a $14.95 commercial product. I think that WhatSize works so many times before demanding that you pay. OmniDiskSweeper will show you where your space has gone for free. However, if you want to delete the files from within the program, you have to pay for it.

I ended up getting WhatSize since it seems to scan the drive a bit faster. It used to be free, but I can't blame a developer from wanting to make money from his work. I like getting paid for my work so I can't expect less from someone else.

Bob C