ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:15 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copy VHS to DVD
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:31 PM 

What kind of equipment is needed and where do I find it? I want to copy VHS tapes, videos from my camera and some things copied off the TV, and transfer them to DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:01 PM 

Joan,

Are you still running OS 9? If so, I'm not sure what's available.

For OS X, there are multiple options. If your Mac is more than 2 years old, then it probably doesn't support USB 2.0. If that's true, then you'll be looking at one of the Firewire hardware converters from either Canopus or Formac. The problem is that these converters are about $200.

I have found some cheaper USB 2.0 converters that look like they support the Mac, but I haven't tried them personally. However, if your Mac doesn't support USB 2.0, it doesn't matter.

Bob C

Post subject: New iBook
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:34 PM 
Site Admin

Joan recently purchased an iBook, so she has OS X and USB 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:42 PM 

Bob,

Thanks. Do you mean iBook (and, therefore, used) or a MacBook? I just don't remember when the iBooks got USB 2.0.

If she has USB 2.0, then I know of less expensive options like the XLR8 ProView USB.

Unfortunately, I can't vouch for how good it is since I haven't tried it yet. Maybe the board will let me buy one for review and auction material since this seems to be coming up more. :D

Bob C

Post subject: VHS - DVD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 3, 2007 3:17 PM 

My MacBook1,1 is about 9 months old. OS X 10.4.9
2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 G Memory
Does this alter your suggestion for the kind of equipment? If not, maybe I can find someone who has that kind of equipment. I just have a few tapes to try to save. I guess a $200 investment is a bit over the top. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 3, 2007 3:35 PM 

Joan,

Since you have a MacBook, I'd suggest one of the USB 2.0 solutions. However, if you only have a few tapes to save, it would probably be cheaper to find someone who will lend you their converter. It'll probably be easiest to find someone with a DV camcorder that has the DV bridge (the hardware that converts analog to digital signals) built-in.

You'd have to plug in your VHS player into the DV camcorder to get this to work. To be honest, I haven't used the DV camcorder option before.

Bob C

Post subject: VHS - DVD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 3, 2007 6:21 PM 

Maybe we've got a plan. I have a digital video camera that I can plug into the computer and record on iMovie. If I could play a VHS tape on a 4-track tv player, maybe I could copy it to the video camera. Now, I just have to figure out which cables go where. That's OK, don't tell me. I don't know the "name" of any of these cables. I'll just have to see what fits, eh? I may try that tomorrow. Will let you know what I find out.