ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Graphics Editting
PostPosted: Fri Mar 2, 2007 2:25 AM 

I need to use layers. I want to draw something over top of something else, but without that something else actually being in the final product. Sort of like a stencil. As far as I know, you can do this with layers. One picture basically on top of another, and when you're done you delete the one you were using as a guide. Graphic Converter claims to support layers, but I'm beginning to think it only supports them in files created with PhotoShop. I can't figure out anywhere to actually create them in GC.

Quite frankly, Graphic Converter has been disappointing me slowly over the years. I would always read reviews praising how it did all these neat things, but I never saw it. I bought it long ago because I needed to convert pictures. The user interface hasn't changed at all over the years. It's difficult to use. I do use it to do editting, but there's just so many things I can't do with it that a cheap little Classic app called PhotoMaker (which I got for $5) did. I miss that program.

Does anyone know of a good graphics editting program, where I can do nice simple effects and layer stuff like I mentioned above, and not pay a ton of money? Free would be nice, actually. I heard Gimp mentioned once, but it didn't make sense to me when I looked it up. (I got a whole lot of things called that.) I tried one of the lower end PhotoShop programs once and it was like using kindergarten software. It was made to be so easy I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 3, 2007 12:16 AM 

I like Graphic Converter, but it has its place. I actually like Adobe's Photoshop Elements ($89) for editing. If you need something cheaper, you really don't have much choice other than The GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/macintosh) if you want to do layers.

Bob C