It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:25 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Airport Users
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 AM 

What software can tell who is using my airport base station?? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:50 PM 

Jim,

Are you trying to find out if people are using your Airport connection without your consent or are you just trying to see who in your family is using the Airport network?

I know that my Netgear router can show me the network card addresses that are on my network. It's been awhile since I've looked at the Airport Admin Utility to see if it gives you the same information.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:02 PM 

The airport seems to cover a large area at times and we wonder if anyone is hitchiking on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:33 PM 

Jim,

I thought that might be your question. I think that the Airport Admin Utility will show you the network addresses of what's on your network. Unfortunately, I can't run the utility right now because I don't have access to an Airport base station. Of course, you'd have to know the Airport IDs (network addresses) of every Mac on your network.

Whether you find anyone on your network at that particular time or not, I highly suggest turning security on. That's the best way to make sure no one gets on your network when you're not looking. I'd suggest using WPA or WPA2. It's really easy to setup when you're using an Airport base station.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 PM 

Well it's done. Did learn apple wants me to use the powerbook I used to install the airport and I started to use the ibook it didn't work for passwords but the powerbook worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 1, 2006 2:33 PM 

Jim,

I'm not sure I understand your reply. You should be able to use the Airport Admin Utility on any of the Macs you have. Also, any Mac you have should be able to use WPA or WPA2 passwords to access your Airport network.

The only exception to this is if you've turned on network access (or whatever Apple calls it) where it will only allow certain Airport IDs onto your network.

Bob C