ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apple Remote Access
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:30 PM 

After succeeding in creating a dead iBook, I reinstalled the 9.1 that originally came with it. Now, about every five minutes I am getting a persistent message: "Dismiss this message to maintain your Remote Access connection. Otherwise, the connection will be closed in 60 seconds." Now, I've been threatened with all sorts of things in my lifetime, but this one has me stymied. Does anyone know just what procedure to take to stop this pop up message? If you would send me a message direct, it can be sent to elliotjc@alumni.indiana.edu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:09 PM 

Joan,

I've never used OS 9, but I did a Google search and I think this is what you need to do:

1. Check "Launch Status application when connecting."
2. Check the three boxes in the Reminders section.
3. Type 85 after "Prompt every."
4. Type 85 after "Disconnect if idle for."

I'm betting that the default for Remote Access is too short of a time. That's why you're getting that message. You can change "85" to however many minutes you think are appropriate. Or it looks like you can uncheck the boxes if you don't want the reminders at all. However, those reminders are there so you don't stay connected with an Internet provider that charges you if you go over so many hours.

Here's the webpage where I found the complete list:
http://www.luc.edu/its/remote_dial_in_macos9.shtml

Hope this helps.

Bob C

Post subject: Apple Remote Access
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 PM 

Thanks Bob. I followed most of your directions. I unchecked the "Prompt every 5 minutes to maintain connection." Note, the 5. There was no way to change that. The next line "Prompt every" had a space to fill in a time. I have 10 minutes inserted there so if I go off and forget to turn it off, it will do so after 10 minutes of inactivity. That has worked for a very long time. I don't know when or how the "Prompt every 5 minutes" got checked. As I said in my earlier post, I had essentially killed the whole thing and had reinstalled the original System 9.1 since I had the disc on hand. I had 9.2 installed several months ago, but didn't have the disc, and couldn't connect to download 9.2. Now I'm afraid to try it since I seem to be messing things up the more I try to "fix" it. Probably I need a new computer, but I like my clamshell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:59 PM 

Joan,

It sounds like you're mostly up and running now. As far as 9.2 goes, as far as I know, the main changes were for Classic compatibility with OS X. If you don't have any programs that demand 9.2, I wouldn't bother going past 9.1.

If you do need 9.2 loaded for some program, you should be able to try again to download it. Looking on Apple's site, the updates aren't that big. However, on dialup, they would still take awhile.

Bob C