ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:26 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:38 AM 

I am beginning to considering using the Quicktime 7.0.1 reinstaller. Ever since upgrading, Quicktime, and it's plug-in, have been crashing constantly when dealing with midi files. FireFox has even crashed due to the QuickTime plug-in.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been sending crash reports right and left to Apple, so I hope it is something that gets fixed. Unless it is something just wrong with my computer. Bleh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:51 AM 

Ricky,

I know that Flip4Mac (the Windows Media plug-in replacement) crashed QuickTime 7.0.4 pretty consistently until a new version (2.0.1) came out.

Besides that, I haven't had any problems with 7.0.4. Do you have any QuickTime components installed (DiVX, Ogg Vorbis, etc.)?

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:29 AM 

I had Ogg, 3ivx, and the Flip4Mac components installed, and I removed them all to check. The crashing continued. I gave up, finally, and used the 7.0.1 ReInstaller. All of my midi related problems are currently gone. (In fact, midi files via the QuickTime plug-in are faster, again.)

So... I guess I'll wait for an update. I don't see midi files being a major priority for Apple, but since, through QuickTime, it managed to crash Safari, Mail, iTunes and QuickTime Player maybe they'll look into it. (Also crashed: FireFox & QMidi... which never crashed before I upgraded.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:50 AM 

Ricky,

The problem is that QuickTime 7.0.4 doesn't seem to be crashing for everyone. I use it through Safari without a problem.

I only have Flip4Mac 2.0.1 installed, but I haven't had any crashing problems since I upgraded to 2.0.1. 2.0 did have known problems with QuickTime 7.0.4.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:24 PM 

I know, which means if it isn't a problem with 7.0.4 itself, there is some funky conflict going on with my computer, or something was borked during installation. Either way, the crash reports would shed light on it. Even if nothing comes of it, I'm sticking with 7.0.1 for now. I might check the Apple forums, too. I sometimes find people with similar problems there.