ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:43 PM 

I ran a combo update to bring my mac from 10.3.4 to 10.3.9. I was busy and had to leave at 97% optimizing and I pointed the mouse cursor to the top left of the screen turn on the screen saver...anyway the screen went totally white. When I got back home the screen was white. Nothing changed after pressing the keys on the keyboard. I held down the power button to restart and reran the updater, but now the dock doesn't pop up and I can not click on and open anything on the desktop. I ran a verify on the system-no problems. I also created a new user-the new user has the same problem. Any ideas? Is there any "preference" type of file I could discard? Help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:08 AM 

Alan,

When you said you "ran a verify on the system", how did you do that if you can't open anything on the desktop? Did you boot from the OS X CD and attempt to do a verify disk from Disk Utility?

Do you have a backup of the data on your system just in case something went really haywire?

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:12 AM 

I ran the verify from the booted os. I reinstalled the os from the original dvds that came with the computer and was able to keep settings that I had (ie. internet, etc). Everything is working fine now. Glad that I didn't have to erase the hard drive and reinstall everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:29 PM 

Alan,

Glad to hear that everything's working for you again. An "archive and install" will keep your settings and your home directory intact.

However, before doing anything major (like an OS update), I always like to backup my entire system to an external drive so I can get things working again quickly if I have to.

Bob C