ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:01 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:53 PM 

We are trying to install Panther on a new drive, as the old drive is quickly failing. However, we only have the upgrade version of Panther, and have somehow misplaced our original OS-X installation disks. We tried to install, but it needs to see an old system in order to upgrade. Is there any workaround for this, or are we just SOL? Are there any parts from Panther that we can copy over from the old drive to the new drive, such that our Panther upgrade disk will recognize it enough to install? Thanks for any help on this! I'm hoping a rainy weekend will bring a suggestion or two, because we are very worried about the viability of failing drive.

THANKS!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:52 PM 

Suzanne,

Without the original OS X CDs (I'm assuming you had Jaguar to upgrade to Panther), I'm not sure how you can use the upgrade CDs. As I recall, I thought you had to install the previous OS X version and then use your upgrade CDs to upgrade Panther. That's why I prefer getting the full version. There may be some way around this, but Apple tends to go after websites that publicize that sort of thing because their upgrade CDs are meant to be used only one way.

That's the bad news. The good news, for you, is that Panther is no longer the current version of OS X. Therefore, you should be able to pick up Panther cheap either from MegaMacs or Other World Computing. Another possibility is to find someone's who's upgraded to Tiger and still has their Panther CDs.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:10 PM 
Webmaster

I still have my original copy of Panther (10.3) that I purchased in October 2003. If you are interested, please let me know and I can sell it to you for a very low and resonable price.

My email is sgjohnson at mac dot com