ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:58 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 3, 2005 10:41 AM 

Long ago I was having weird file system errors showing up when I would run "fsck" and at the time I found some advice on how to repair the problem, and all was good for a while. Lately, my computer has been acting silly again, and I notice the same type of problem, only something else is happening with it.

Code:
localhost:/ root# fsck -f
** dev/rdisk0s5
** Root file system
** Checking HFS Plus volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
 Â  Overlapped extent allocation (file 537502d)
** Volume check failed.

I've seen the overlapped extent allocation before, and at one time I knew how to find out what file was related to that number, but currently I do not recall how it was I did that. My concern, however, is the fact the volume check failed. That didn't seem like a very good thing. I know that Disk Warrior is a likely candidate for reparing this sort of thing, but when Bob allowed me to test it, I beleive I lacked the necessary free disk space for the program to do its full range of magic, though it did fix other things... so I had hoped that was that.

I will be leaving tomorrow for Arizona, and so reinstalling from scratch is not an option until later, but I was hoping someone might have a thought on a quick fix. Currently, there are no short term issues I can see being caused by this, but when the computer is on for a few days I notice icons on things randomly switch to icons of other things, other random things occur (programs get a bit more unstable than they probably should) but everything goes back to normal after a restart. If nothing else I can just restart every couple days, but that gets rather annoying, especially if one needs to run on battery more often than usual.

Thanks!

Ricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 3, 2005 10:47 PM 

Ricky,

Are you still running Panther? Just trying to get an idea. Also, have you tried running fsck multiple times? Sometimes, it will take 2-3 times to fix the problem. I don't know why that is.

I'm getting an updated DiskWarrior CD (the old version won't boot on my new iMac G5). We can try the new version and see if the weird video problems disappear or not.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 4, 2005 3:15 AM 

Alright, I will not be at this upcoming meeting but I should be at the July meeting. I will try running fsck a few times in a row and see what happens. Oh, and yes, 10.3.5. I don't trust X.3.8 or higher, so I am holding out to upgrade to 10.4 when I get around to it.

On a side note, I've already found one "Tiger only" app out there in my pursuit of free or cheap software. Scary how fast that was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 4, 2005 5:48 PM 

Ricky,

The fact that you found a "Tiger-only" app isn't surprising to me at all. A lot of Mac developers aren't professionals. They're Mac enthusiasts who have programming ability. These people are likely to only have Tiger on their system.

Unless you're looking for your software to provide your main source of income, you probably don't have Panther or earlier versions to try your software out on.

Except for programs that take advantage of special Tiger features, like Stone Design's iMaginator, I don't expect too much commercial "Tiger-only" software.

Good luck on the hard drive.

Bob