ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:15 AM 

Alright dammit, I'm just fed up with the lack of robustness on the part of the entire constellation of known (at least the ones *I* know) browsers available for OSX. Safari, just sucks. I cannot tell you how often it freezes totally.... scroll bars cease functioning, the red, yellow & green buttons illuminate but do not work and the File/Close Window option is greyed out. And/or....URLs are no longer selectable. And/or.... it is impossible to type in the Google search field. And/or....text is un-selectable, links are not highlighted nor functioning. Favicons don't drag to bookmark bar. Menus are unresponsive. Sometimes the keyboard shortcut arrows And/or....the button-bar navigation buttons stop functioning AND.....the back button often skips entire pages!!!!! I've always hated it the way windows don't open up aligned to screen boundaries. Nut to the problem at hand... Matters not if I am EVER able to actually close a few windows. Or flush the cache. Or close down every other frigging app I have open at the time (usually only Eudora Pro, Limewire, Excel, iTunes and MAYBE a low overhead game). The only reason I continue to go back to it is that's where the mother lode of all my bookmarks and cookies are. AND it's auto-fill & auto-completion features are superior to any browser I've yet tried (and for a one-handed typist, that's no small consideration). But then there's that blasted beachball spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning and......

But then my wife turned me on to Firefox, which lulled me with similar SSL, pop-up blocking, cookie & password mgmt and vastly superior search and find functions along with fun easy-to-apply SKINS!!! But it has awkward bookmark mgmt., lousy pop-up blocking (as it turns out), no auto-fill, unreliable auto-completion (on URLs, fields pretty much fill on previously visited sites) and no tabbed browsing. But worst of all, it is glacial.

Netscape is a memory hog & IE is no longer supported by Redmond. Opera was a joke. Any suggestions? What have I missed? Any Silver Surfers out there who've mastered their domains?

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 PM 

Rex,

First of all, for free browsers, Safari and FireFox are the main OS X browsers. There's Omniweb but it costs $30 and, unless your browsing needs are very particular, it's not really worth it in my opinion.

Except for your complaint about "windows don't open up aligned to screen boundaries", I never had the problems in Safari that you talk about. Quite honestly, I use the tabbed browsing feature in Safari so I don't have to worry about that.

Here are the steps I'd go through to try to fix Safari:
(going from least to most painful)
1. Trash the preference file for Safari (Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist). You'll want to do this when Safari isn't running. Now try running Safari to see if your problems have gone away. If not, move to step 2.

2. Repair permissions on your drive. You do this by going into Disk Utility, clicking on the drive (or your name for it) and clicking on the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.

3. Choose "Reset Safari" from the Safari menu. Warning: doing this will lose your cookies and, probably, autofill information.

If none of those work, we may have to dig a little deeper. I have the occasional website that doesn't like Safari, but I use all of the items you mention on a daily basis (ok, I had to try the "drag favicon" to the bookmark bar but it did work fine for me the two times I tried it).

I keep Firefox around because it can be compatible with a few extra websites (like my stupid cell phone company's website), but it's a bit clunky. I admit that. I'm hoping that, in time, FireFox will be more Mac-like in how it works.

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1113449656