ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:25 AM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 9, 2004 11:43 AM 

Hi!

My first year is almost up on my PowerBook G4, purchased 10/23/03. I've had no problems except for the first few weeks, so I have not had reason to ante up the $ for Applecare.

So I am now about to ask what is probably the silliest question on earth.

I thought that I had to buy Applecare from Apple. However, I see Applecare for the PowerBook all over the internet, from prices as low as $249 (with shipping) -- compared to Apple's price of $349 -- and some even lower on eBay bids.

Am I just a consumer idiot? Is it really true that one can buy it for such a good discount and it's all fine?

Also, I *do* assume that buying Applecare is a good idea, especially for a laptop. Right?

:Oo:

Thanks for any help out there!

-Suzanne/Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 9, 2004 7:26 PM 

Suzanne,

AppleCare is an item that has a decent amount of dealer markup. Therefore, you can buy AppleCare from any reputable dealer and be assured that it's identical to buying it from Apple. I know that Small Dog Electronics regularly has reduced prices on AppleCare.

I'd be skittish about eBay because how do you know that the person is selling you an unregistered AppleCare package? Please keep in mind that I'm naturally leery about eBay.

I didn't know this information and paid full retail price for the AppleCare on my iMac. I figured it'd be worth it in case the LCD screen had a problem.

AppleCare is like any insurance policy. You have to weigh how likely you are to have to use it to how much it costs. With a notebook, I'd definitely recommend it because things can go wrong with them and any repair is likely to be more expensive than the AppleCare. One more thing you need to keep in mind is whether you want the extended Apple support. Honestly, I had no interest in it but your opinion may be different than mine.

As far as my next desktop, I think I'll go with my old rule which is "It's an electronic item. If it breaks, it'll break within the first year.".

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1097364524

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 9, 2004 11:11 PM 

Thanks, Bob. I think Apple phone support is for the birds, but I do worry about the physical well-being of my laptop. Of course, I'm sure it is "timed" to go flooey on the day after my third year of ownership.

I'm just glad to know that I can buy it for lots less than the Apple price. I checked out Small Dog, and their price is $50 less -- but we have seen it for $100 less from dealers that get good ratings. As for eBay, we've had pretty good luck -- but that's Rex's domain. I'm coming up on needing it in 10 days, so that might be the most concerning part of that idea. But Rex is working his eBay mojo as I am writing this.

Thanks again!