ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:14 PM 

Lemme explain

Command Quit MAY seem handy for most of yinz, but for moi? It is a pain-in-the-arse. Because in OSX you can quit the Finder, something that seems useful, but that's a command I'd like buried, say, one menu-level deep, like in the System Services menu option. Why?

Well, I am frequently attempting to quit a foreground app, but wouldn't you know it, for whatever consarned reason it is no longer front and center, but finder is and when I press cloverleaf Q, I am actually quitting finder, which, in my case takes forever and a day to come back up.

I use to use Now Utilities, then its sequel, Action Utilities to remove keyboard shortcutted men commands from my wake. But there seems to be no OSX equivalent and the OSX Keyboard Shortcuts is a piss poor imitation of that stout applet from our halcyon days. Majorly missing from its capabilities is the ability to....remove command Q from the Finder menu. Sigh....

Help....redux

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:54 PM 

Quote:
Majorly missing from its capabilities is the ability to....remove command Q from the Finder menu. Sigh...

Rex,

Actually, by default, the Finder does not have a quit menu option. You have to run a utility to add the quit option. Some people like having a Finder Quit option. I'm with you. I don't like it.

There are several utilities that will allow you to remove the Finder Quit option that somehow got enabled on your system. I like Onyx. It gives you a simple checkbox that you'll need to uncheck to remove the Finder Quit option. Onyx does a bunch of other things as well, but it'll fix your Finder Quit problem.

I'm sure other people will suggest other programs. They'll work just as well.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:23 AM 

Well I dunno about adding that Quit, because I would have NEVER consciously done that, but be that as it may, thanx oodles for the OnyX tip. It looks a skosh like TinkerTool, but way more functionality as far as I can recall.

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:59 AM 

I used Cocktail to turn on the command-Q option to my Finder. I, for one, occasionally have use for it, so I like it, but I agree it is very annoying when you accidentally quit the Finder when you don't mean to. It sometimes takes an extended amount of time to come back up, for whatever reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:32 PM 

Quote:
I used Cocktail to turn on the command-Q option to my Finder.

Ricky,

I didn't recommend Cocktail because it's $14.95. I'm not convinced that you need to schedule these scripts to run every month, week, or day. In most cases, just running the cron scripts when you feel like it tends to be good enough.

As to the customization features (Add 'Quit Finder', etc.), they tend to be the same across the different programs. Therefore, to solve Rex's problem, I chose to direct him to the free program since it would solve his problem just as well.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:39 PM 

Quote:
Well I dunno about adding that Quit, because I would have NEVER consciously done that, but be that as it may, thanx oodles for the OnyX tip. It looks a skosh like TinkerTool, but way more functionality as far as I can recall.

Rex,

I'm sure you didn't add this consciously. All I can think of is that either you were in TinkerTool and checked it when you thought it was going to do something else, a program turned it on for you automatically (highly unlikely), or the Finder preference file was corrupted enough to just change this one setting (very, very unlikely). In any case, it sounds like you have the problem solved now.

The reason that TinkerTool has so much less functionality now is that Apple removed the hidden options that TinkerTool allowed you to turn on. A lot of hidden preferences were either moved to the menus in 10.2 and 10.3 or removed entirely. TinkerTool's greatest benefit was that it was only turning on options that Apple hid from us. It didn't actually change your system files in any way. It just turned on switches in preference files. When Apple removed those options, TinkerTool got a lot less useful.

I guess I should mention that Onyx and Cocktail are also just changing hidden preferences and not modifying anything other than a preference file (just like TinkerTool did).

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1092616974

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:26 PM 

Yeah, I wasn't really saying that as a suggestion, but just a thought since he wasn't sure how the Command-Q got on there. If he'd ever used Cocktail it has the ability to turn that on. I used to like Cocktail, but its become like a lumbering hulk lately, taking forever just to load. It never used to be like that. It makes me sad.