ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:08 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:51 PM 

I've had this computer for almost a year now, so I decided to try installing some of my favorite *nix type software, but ran into a small problem. I can't compile anything. So, I tried to track down gcc for darwin. Apple apparently is holding it for ransom, saying you have to sign up as a developer and download the huge developer package. Bleh. So I go to GNU's website to see what I can find, but unfortunately I'm not well versed with installing something like this. My experience it limited to installing and compiling programs on a remote machine in my own little shell account, or installing TCL for myself so things would work when the system had an older version. Anyway, I probably can figure this out on my own, but I really don't want to bleep up my computer, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has some advice for how I can get gcc (or something else?) installed properly, and where the best place to get it from would be (Apple or GNU).

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:15 AM 

Ricky,

Apple isn't holding gcc for ransom, honest. You do have to sign up as a developer, but Apple offers a free developer option. You don't get any special deals, but you're then allowed to access the download area to download the developer tools. However, Apple doesn't have gcc separated from the rest of the developer tools. Therefore, it's a 200-300 Meg download as I recall.

If you're running 10.2 (Jaguar), you did receive a developer tools CD in your package. It's the third CD (the only one that doesn't have a Jaguar print on it). Apple has updated the developer tools since that CD was produced, but installing those tools should allow you to compile your *NIX stuff.

However, if you have any X11 programs to compile, you'll need to download Apple's X11 and their X11 Software Development Kit.

If you don't want to mess things up, I highly recommend that you install gcc through the developer tools. Installing a compiler from scratch isn't something that I'd recommend to anyone.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:02 PM 

Ransom! I have dialup. :(

Well, I looked at the instructions for installing GCC and I pretty much said *editted for content* I don't feel like going through that. Jaguar came with my computer. It wasn't actually installed on the computer, I just got the update CDs with the computer and had to put it on myself. I guess thats because I bought it the day after 10.2 was released, I'm not sure. I'll have to figure out where the discs ran off too, I can only seem to find my iBook discs at the moment. :suspect:

RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:53 PM 

Quote:
Jaguar came with my computer.

That's the key. I checked the CDs that came with my iBook and I didn't see any developer CD there either. It seems the developer tools CD only came with the retail version.

If you have an iBook with Airport, I can recommend two options:
1. Find someone with broadband to download the tools for you. (Obviously, this works regardless of whether you have Airport)
2. Download the tools at an ApplePickers meeting (Oct. won't work since we won't be at Ivy Tech that month) or go to a place that has Wi-Fi available.

I agree that it's unfortunate that Apple (and the rest of the computer industry) assumes that people have broadband. However, quite honestly, I think that downloading just GCC would be a bit much on a dialup connection.

It would be nice if Apple allowed the Mac magazines to put the developer tools and OS releases on their CDs. At least, unlike Windows, you can get complete download packages of every update which allows you to get someone else to download the update and give the pkg file to you.

Since Apple doesn't allow redistribution of this software, I'd recommend getting someone to download the software for you if you don't want to wait until the November ApplePickers meeting.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:57 PM 

I found my Jaguar CDs and it does have the Developer Tools CD, so I will just live with that until November. Thanks!

RL