ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:49 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:48 PM 

If I finally get around to installing Jaguar on the G4/450 (still gotta' run 8.6 and 9.x on some of the older computers for very expensive hardware reasons, but . . .), I'm going to need to upgrade an awful bunch of software!! Lots of expensive Adobe stuff like PhotoShop and Illustrator along with several others. Stone Studio says it's got this wonderful made for OS X software that is one price ($299) will always have free upgrades and "has all the important features of Illustrator, Quark Xpress, DreamWeaver, Freehand, Corel Draw, PageMaker, Timeslips(?), Acrobat Writer, Stuffit Deluxe, ImageReady, iPhoto and more." Anyone know anything about or have had any experience w/ this seemingly incredible value?

Especially since my needs in PS and Ill are fairly simple, wonder if this stuff will do for what I need to be doing?

Check it out at www.stone.com. This could be wonderful if . . . Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:04 AM 

Dan,

I have two parts of the Stone Studio (Create & Slice and Dice). To be honest, I use Create as my webpage creation tool. I can't really discuss its graphic editing and creation strengths. You see, Create is a strange tool. It's hard to define Create since it can do so many different things. It slices, it dices, and makes real julien fries! :)

Honestly, Stone's interface takes a little getting used to. However, if you make the effort, the programs are very powerful. I know I haven't figured out everything they can do. The good thing for you is that you can get a free 30 day license to try out the tools for yourself to see if they'll meet your needs. You can download the software (about 20 Meg for the entire Studio) and the documentation as well. The 30 day license opens up all of the program's features. It should tell you if Studio is right for you.

I've found Andrew Stone (it's pretty much a one person company) to be very helpful and very interested in ideas for program enhancements.

The "free upgrades for life" isn't a gimmick with him. He truly believes it's wrong for software companies to suck money out of users because they bought the product first. He looks at the Mac market as much bigger as the NeXT market that he comes from. He sees making money from selling current products to new users (only a small percentage of OS X users probably run his software) and creating new products.

I'm definitely a fan of his software. I only didn't buy the entire Studio because I only needed Create and Slice and Dice (program to create web image maps from photos or other graphics). When I have more time to dig into Create, I'd love to do a demo for ApplePickers on it.

Remember that you don't HAVE to buy OS X versions of all of your old software immediately. Most of it will work in Classic just fine. You might also look into whether Photoshop Elements will meet your Photoshop needs. If so, that'd be a LOT less expensive than the full Photoshop.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:11 PM 

Thanks Bob,
Good thoughts! What I'm doing w/ PhotoShop is minor compared to what I use Illustrator for (and I've had some say I'd do better w/ Freehand for my needs, tho . . .) and both of those just to get things to a CAD for manipulation, storage and plotting. What I'm doing is preserving antique, vintage and old sewing patterns, their envelopes and instruction sheets as well as lots of related printed materials like sewing books, pamphlets, etc. (see: <www.landescostumes.com/ifprae> [that's "International Flat Pattern Repository and Exchange"]for more info.]. Long ago when I started this crazy project, I thought I'd have to get everything to some kind of vector format (experimenting w/ OmniPage for the printed materials) in order to be able to store it reasonably. The increasingly less expensive possibilities for storage these days are making that no longer such a necessity. So I will still need some sort of graphics editing software to deal w/ the envelopes and other printed and illustrated material. Am still thinking that the Stone software might be very helpful for that and for getting it *all* "web ready" at a reasonable price!

thanks, d'l

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:01 AM 

Dan,

For what you want to do, I'd definitely give Stone Studio a try.

For what it's worth, I'd look long and hard before you upgrade Illustrator to the OS X version. I've read many complaints about the speed of the product. I don't use it, but when I hear the same complaints from numerous people, I tend to think they're legitimate.

If you don't have access to broadband, I'm sure I could download the Studio at a meeting and give you a CD. I haven't been on broadband so long that I've forgotten how long it takes to download 20 Meg files on dialup. Stone tends to want to have people download their software to ensure they get the newest version. That's fine except it doesn't work so well for people with dialup. They do offer a CD for about $15 more as I recall.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:06 AM 

Super thanks, Bob,

but my one last luxury I'm affording myself is SBC DSL, so can download m'self! (by the bye, is there any better or CHEAPER way to have broadband? It's irking my soul to have SBC offering it for $29 to new users while I'm still paying $49! At least they could compromise for us older users by knocking it to $39 or something! hoooha!

Now all I gotta' do is finish cleaning down the G4 so that I can load the Jaguar and add the upgrades! Then I can give the Stone stuff the 30 day trial! ["cleaning down" is taking forever, however--I've got an internal DVD Ram drive in this G4/450 and it's taking an hour a GB to download to it. Should it be THAT slow?] Anyhooo . . . .

thanks again, d'l