ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:15 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dot on mail messages?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:02 PM 

I upgraded from 10.9 to 10.10 recently. This included moving a number of old mail messages into the new mail program. Now I find on all mail messages, a 5/8 or so inch grey dot in the upper right of the screen when the mail message is shown, that has a couple of letters in it. Often those letters seem to be from the title of the message or the sender's name.
In any case, that dot, was not there in older versions of mail. Does anyone know why its there now, what it is supposed to do (other than make the message full screen if you double click on it), or how to get rid of them? I didn't see anything in mail preferences that seems to relate to this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:42 PM 
Site Admin

I see those too. They are the initials of the sender as you deduced. It will change to display the image of the sender if you have an image of the sender in your Contacts database. Earlier versions of Apple mail would also display a picture of the sender if it was in your Contacts, but the space would be blank if no image was present. It's an enhancement :D .