ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:12 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:26 AM 
Site Admin

You may have noticed that when you surfed over to the ApplePickers web site and clicked on Forum that there are some subtle differences since the last time you were by. It's been 5 years since we last updated the forum, and phpBB2.0 is no longer being supported. To move to the newer version (phpBB3) required us to also move to Machighway's (our hosting service) newer server system. That has now been accomplished as of March 22, 2010, and I think you'll find the new version has some additional functions and is more responsive. Please use this service to post questions and new bits of information you may find will be of interest to our members. We all learn from your questions and answers, so don't be shy.

If you notice any odd behaviors from the new forum or website, please send me a note, and I'll see if I can fix it. I've taken over the responsibilities for website maintenance, and I'm no master. :)

Post subject: Re: Forum Update
PostPosted: Fri Apr 2, 2010 8:18 AM 

Hi Bob!

Nice updates on the BB feature! But I have 2 questions for you.

(1)
I see there are some new options available on the BB, which is great. However, one thing I'd really like to get are all new BB messages delivered to my private email (whether I originated the posts or not). I tried to see if this was an option in the user settings, and perhaps it is not. In any event, if it can be done, I can't figure out how. This board isn't all that busy, and we're nearly always interested when others post to it.

(2)
Are you guys pretty happy with MacHighway? We are thinking SERIOUSLY about ditching our current web host (HostGo) and MH is a consideration. Especially since one of the big reasons we hate our host is that they are not at all Mac-helpful.

Thank you for your insights, kind sir!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 2, 2010 9:19 AM 
Site Admin

Suzanne,

Regarding question #1: Yes, there are several ways to know when someone respond to your post. When you create a post or a reply, you should see 6 option boxes below the area where you are typing. Check the one that says "Notify me when a reply is posted". Of course your user profile needs to include the email address where you want the notice to be sent. It should come from applepic@applepickers.org.

You can also subscribe to Topics or to Forums. To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. From the FAQ it says: To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself. You can unsubscribe by going to your User Control Panel and select "Manage Subscriptions".

Regarding question #2: Yes, I can definitely recommend going with MacHighway. They have been quite helpful in the transition over to the new site, and are completely Mac-centric. They have a lot of articles available telling you exactly how to do things on the Mac, and even create a custom script to set up your e-mail account in Apple Mail if you have an applepickers.org e-mail account. They have a 1-800 number you can call to speak with someone to get help, and you're almost always "first in line" waiting no more than a minute. I should say they were of almost no help in setting up phpBB3, but that is a bit outside their scope. They do offer a 25% discount to ApplePickers members. You can find that info in a post by Bob Carpenter in the Mug Specials Forum. Depending on which package you choose, you will get information sent to you about accessing the domain's control panel which gives you access to setting up all sorts of add-on packages. I would definitely say give them a try. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 2, 2010 9:15 PM 

Suzanne,

I see that Bob v. has answered your forum questions. I've subscribed to every forum so I'm immediately identified of any updates. That's how I saw your post this morning. I was just too busy at work to respond.

I would second Bob's MacHighway recommendation. I used them until I stopped having a website of my own (I simply have a Flickr photostream to show photos). I never had to call them, but their E-mail support was fantastic. They're not available 24/7 for support, but that's because they don't have off-shore support either. Outages were very rare and, if planned, I was always notified in advance. If I saw a very rare unplanned outage, it was accompanied by an E-mail apology from the company's owner.

You'll want to confirm with them that our discount is still valid. Since their sign-up has changed, they may have changed the discount code or how it's entered.

Bob C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:56 PM 

Hi Bob(s)!

I realize that I must be fundamentally dense, but -- while I've always subscribed to postings to given individual topics in the Forum -- I didn't really understand how to subscribe to full Forums. THAT IS ... until you guys literally showed the web page to me last night at the meeting. But thinking that there could be others having problems doing this, I wrote up a set of somewhat more explicit (tho perhaps less simple) instructions for subscribing to desired (entire) Forums.

Am wondering if you might want to use these steps in the general newsletter to the membership sometime in the future -- and do feel free to make it more understandable!

Seriously, I know that I'd sure enjoy our group a lot more, if more members were interested in posting to the forums. :lol:

(1) Go to Applepickers.org webpage (duh!)

(2) Click on "Forum"

(3) Sign in, if you are not automatically signed in all the time.

(4) Look through the list of broad Forums available. These include:

Virtual Business Meetings
    Meetings
    Website Feedback
    Hardware
    Software
    Networking
    Mac OS
    Gossip & News
    For Sale/Wanted

The only one that does not seem subscribe-able is "MUG Specials."

(5) It is (as both of you promised) possible to subscribe to whichever (or all) of the Forums, and notifications will come to one's personal email each time someone posts to any of the subscribed forums.

(6) To subscribe, click on each individual forum (it can only be done one forum at a time) that you are interested in. In the upper left hand corner of the inset, right above "Topics," click on "Subscribe forum." (If you later want to unsubscribe to any Forum, you can click on "Unsubscribe forum.")

(7) To navigate back to subscribe to the next Forum, just click on "Board Index" in the gray bar, just above the Forum name.

I'd say that this might help others, just by my writing it here -- but ya gotta be going to the Applepickers Forum to see it! If y'all get my drift ... and it doesn't seem like a lot of folks are frequenting the boards. Or maybe they do, but just never post. :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 PM 
Site Admin

That's a great contribution! I too wish that more folks would avail themselves of the Forums. It's a good way to ask a question and allow whomever chooses to respond the time to research it and provide a complete answer. Although you can't provide pictures in a response, you can if you send a private message. At least that's what I've read; haven't done it myself because there's little traffic on the Forum here, and have not had the necessity.

If you'd like to write up your instructions perhaps with a few screen shots and send it to Randy, I'm sure he'd publish it in the next newsletter. I can assist if you want, or do it altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:59 PM 

Suzanne,

I agree with Bob v. Thanks for your detailed description on how to subscribe to each forum. It's much appreciated. I also agree that the forums are only as useful as the number of people willing to post to it.

Bob,

Why can't Suzanne subscribe to the "MUG Specials" forum? Is it because she doesn't have posting ability in that forum? I only ask this because I can subscribe to this forum.

Bob C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 AM 
Site Admin

I do not know why Suzanne was unable to subscribe to the MUG Specials Forum. All her permissions look no different than the Members group or Registered users group. I reassigned her to the Members group and checked to see if I could subscribe or unsubscribe using her permissions (new feature). All seemed okay.

Suzanne, please check it again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:20 PM 

Hi guys!

Whatever you did, it works now! But am sure it wasn't working before, as there simply was no "Subscribe" option there (and I did it at least a half dozen times).

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:41 PM 

Suzanne,

You can thank Bob v. for the change.

Bob C