ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:37 PM 

I'd like to listen to Pandora and my iPod app in my (pretty old) car. I mention the "pretty old" part because our vehicle has neither a connector for USB nor even for RCA directly into the radio chassis. (And it is DVD only, so a cassette connector would not work either.)

Can anyone suggest a good brand/model for an FM transmitter, to play my tunes through the iPhone?

Even the Griffin iTrip FM Transmitter, which seems to be the main one featured on the Apple site, gets pretty mediocre reviews for strength and quality of FM signal.

Gosh ... and and and and ... it'd be really great if it had a hands-free and/or phone charger built in -- but the ones that have all three seem to get SUPER-DUPER crappy reviews! :shock: (No surprise, somehow.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:53 PM 
Site Admin

My experience is limited, but I have a JIO FM transmitter for iPod that I bought a few years ago at Fry's. It was rated pretty fair then, but I've never been impressed with it. Sound quality is indeed mediocre, and there's significant background noise when the iPod is not playing. Seems to be less so when music is on. It does charge the unit when connected and fits directly in the cigarette socket; only one wire to the dock connector on the iPod. I think any of these FM transmitters will be by nature inferior to a direct connection. Too bad your radio won't support it; mine neither.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:08 PM 

Suzanne,

Unfortunately, Bob v. is correct. The problem is that there are FCC limits on how powerful a signal can be transmitted by an FM transmitter. There really isn't a substitute for a direct connection.

If you have an old enough car stereo to have a cassette deck, even a cassette adapter works better than the FM transmitter.

I got frustrated enough with my FM transmitter that I paid our old president, Bob McLaughlin, to install a new stereo in my old car that had an auxiliary input that could be used for the iPod.

Bob C