ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G5 iMac hard drive
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:38 PM 

Where can I find how large of a drive my 1.6ghz G5 iMac can handle. I know its a SATA. How much do I need to know about the capacity of the drive, power requirements, etc?

I'm looking at this 1TB drive:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=559

It says it runs quieter, cooler and on 40% less power than something. Sounds like a deal. Think it'll work?

Otherwise, could anyone recommend a drive or vendor please?

Charles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 1, 2009 11:46 AM 

Charles,

The only problem you might run into is if you leave the 1TB drive as one partition. Depending on what version of OS X you're running, I thought the partition limit was around 1TB. It might be 2TB though.

I checked out EveryMac.com for your iMac G5 model, but I couldn't find any specific information on how large of a hard drive you can use. Since your iMac G5 does use SATA, I'm not sure if there's a BIOS limitation like there was in the old Macs where they wouldn't recognize a drive that was bigger than "x" GB.

I'd just make sure you buy the drive from a place with a good return policy so you can return it if necessary. There also might be a jumper on the drive that distinguishes it from SATA (what your iMac is) and SATA II (what that drive is). I'm not sure if you can use a SATA II drive on a SATA system board automatically. I've done some reading on it, but I haven't run into this myself.

Hope this helps.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 1, 2009 2:00 PM 

Thanks Bob. Your concerns were mine. I opened the case and turned the existing drive over. Given the 1.6ghz G5 came with a Seagate Barracuda SATA drive.. I replaced it with the same. Except I took a shot on going from 160GB to 1T.

I ordered this one: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST31000333AS/

I figure worst case I can put the drive in an enclosure and use it for external storage.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Charles