ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 5, 2007 7:29 PM 

Help! What could it be that I can start up a hardrive w/ all extensions off, but with *any* one on--believe me, I've re-started so many times . . . . . If I try to start-up it locks with a "system error" message--either "addressing error" or "bus error"--can't seem to make up its mind--if it can get that far w/out locking up. Often just the welcome window or the beginning box of the error message, sometimes that empty box will be sorta' vibrating. Oh yes, its the StarMax 3000 clone. Nortons, Tech tool, Disk Warrior, and Macs disk tool all say the hard drive is fine, etc.

Got any ideas or explanations?

thanks,
d'l

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 6, 2007 7:24 PM 

Dan,

I freely admit that I know "squat" about the older Mac OS versions, but can you try using another hard-drive and install a new system on it? If that works a few times, try copying your data to it and see if it works. Then, try adding one extension at a time.

Based on the age of the clone, it could certainly be hardware but it's strange that it works without any extensions.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 AM 

Extensions were a big pain. Conflicts between them were always a possibility. The only way I remember to find which one(s) was the problem was to turn them all off. Then add one, check it out, add the next one, check it out and so on until you get the problem child.

It could be extensions fighting each other or maybe one that is not compatible with the hardware. Good luck!

Post subject: StartUp Troubles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 PM 
Site Admin

So if you can start up without extensions (I assume holding the Shift key down), but not with any running it does indeed sound like an extension or control panel conflict. It could be either the System file or Finder file that has become corrupted. They can be replaced from backups. In OS 9 there are core fonts and sounds that are embedded in the System file that may have become corrupted. Do you have Extension Manager or ConflictCather running? They can turn all extensions off and then start adding one by one until you find the culprit, or they may be the source of the problem too, although it doesn't sound like it. The fact that you can get it running with extensions turned off makes me feel it's not a hardware issue; hence it must be software. One good thing about OS 9 is that you can replace most pieces short of a wholesale reinstall. OS X is too complicated to do that unless you're a Unix geek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:10 AM 

Thanks guys,

(yes RVL, I finally got here!)

Now all I need is time to try some of this--tho I have tried using EM and adding one at a time--any one extension stops it, so what's the conflict? Am not sure whether I have a new enough Conflict Catcher to use on OS8.6 or 9. Never found it very much more helpful than just playing w/ the EM.

RVL was very helpful as we had a bite to eat at Subway before the Weds nite meeting--(and just where were you, BC??)--actually hope everything-and you are alright !

d'l

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:10 PM 

danlpugh wrote:
RVL was very helpful as we had a bite to eat at Subway before the Weds nite meeting--(and just where were you, BC??)--actually hope everything-and you are alright !

d'l

Dan,

I'm fine. I was just tired after a long day at work and I decided to stay home yesterday. I'll be there next month when Apple shows off Leopard.

Regarding your problem, if adding just one extension causes the problem, have you tried copying over a fresh System folder and see if that will boot? Again, I don't know a thing about 9 but I thought you could do that (unlike with OS X where that isn't possible).

Bob C