ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:55 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:33 PM 

Well, I decided to break out the Griffin iMic that I recently acquired, to record some things. So far as I can tell, the device works fine. My computer, on the other hand, doesn't seem to get the idea. From the beginning I had some problems, because the sound recorder I was using is a Classic App. Ok, so it isn't a perfect world but I love that program. Problem is, it wouldn't play through. It plays through for the internal mic, but not the USB audio.

Ok, fine, that's alright. I went to handy dandy Versiontracker, got a simple sound recorder for OS X (in this case, Audio Recorder) and decided I would just record it as an AIFF file, then go into classic to edit. So I shut it all off. I gave up and restarted.

The problem is, OS X is playing the internal mic through to the speakers, now. It is giving me feedback if I turn it up too loud, and I can find no settings in the Sound control panel to shut off play-through or the microphone. When I plug in the iMic, it gives me the option to use it as an input source. So I did.

In Audio Recorder, it is now playing through! ...but I am also getting input from the internal mic. I cannot figure out how or why this is happening. Shouldn't it be impossible to have both input sources active at once? I mean, it seems cool but I can't have it doing that if I am to record things. Anyone have ideas? I've gone through everything I can think of to stop this unwanted behavior.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Additional!</span>

I have learned that, when problems occur in Classic, usually they can be fixed in classic. I reopened the program I originally used, selected play-through, then deselected it, and viola... no more internal mic with feedback. The iMic is now working normally and I am recording much music. Hopefully, once Tiger is installed some of these little problems my computer is developing will be gone. Ahh, clean install. Yes, everything is going bye bye at the end of the week, the black box is already here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:13 PM 

Ricky,

Glad to hear everything's working for you now.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 1, 2005 6:11 PM 

This iMic works pretty good. I mean, I was used to filtering out slight hissing and the dreaded 60 cycle buzz of questionably grounded equipment when I would use the A/V inputs on my G3. There's no buzz, no hiss, no nothing but sound. I love this thing!

...and I found a program that is very close to the Classic app I was using, so I may not have to switch over just to edit and process sounds. Amadeus II is very much like what SoundEffects was. I may even cough up money if I continue to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 1, 2005 8:53 PM 

I didn't know you were looking for a recording application until your first post. I purchased Amadeus II awhile ago. I really like it. I especially like the fact that it supports VST plug-ins so I could use Bias' Sound Soap II with it if I wanted to.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 5, 2005 8:05 PM 

Well, I wasn't really looking for one until I got annoyed at the internal mic problem which seems to have been caused by Classic failing to shut it off. Amadeus II was sort of a "not really looking for a replacement" find. I went on versiontracker just to find an OS X program to record. That was all I wanted, but alas I found Amadeus which records, edits, slices, dices, but no fries of any variety that I can see.

I love SoundEffects, it has worked very well for me for a long time, but it is a Classic app and therefore has a critical flaw. I plan to play with Amadeus a bit while I have the free trial going, just to see if it is really all I want out of a sound editor. It handles larger files well, which is one of my main areas of interest.