ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:16 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:23 AM 

Yikes!

Today I updated my system from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9 (and along with it the attendant iTunes update from 4.7.1 to 4.8 build 31). And yes, I repaired permissions, both before updating and after.

I then wanted to go outside and tend to our herb & tomato garden & plugged in my long dormant 3G 40 Gig iPod, which is nearly stuffed to the gills with tuneage. It sat in the iPod docking station greyed out for what seemed like forever and I feared that I let it go too long without connecting. But then, the glorious backlight finally emitted and my iTunes bounced in the dock and it looked like it was a go.

iTunes launched and I had to go thru the silly re-signing of the license, but soon I was able to access my Pod. I then started to delete some seldom listened-to songs so I could copy over some newer ones. They seemed to delete just fine as the info bar at the bottom of iTunes informed me that the space had indeed grown to almost a Gig. One song I was unsure of, so I tried playing it....And it was here that all hell broke loose.

I got the SBOD (spinning beachball of death), and it spun there for like 7 mins before I decide that iTunes was hung but good. I force quit it and it APPEARED to have quit, but I continued to see the little triangular indicator in my dock, so I moused over and held down on the iTunes icon in the dock where it betrayed iTunes true state (it stated "force quit"). So I did that and sure enough it was listed (STILL!!!!) in the Force Quit Applications dialog. I tried force-quitting maybe half a dozen times, but to no avail.

So, I thought to myself "Self, the only other running process is Finder, perhaps it is an obscure refresh problem of some sort." So I re-launched Finder. It seemingly came back very fast, but when I clicked on it, I got SBOD again! On FINDER!!! The Dock was accessible, so I launched a Bridge card game and played a rubber and waited it out. But after 12 mins, Finder was still hung. So I rebooted.

Which on a 2nd generation 466 MHz G4 (with 896 SDRAM) takes for-freaking-ever. I went to sit in front of the telly and watch the tape of last night's Keith Olbermann & Jon Stewart. About an hour later I moseyed over and saw an alert that my UPS wasn't recognized and for me to attempt to reconnect my APS UPS device. For some reason my USB cable had become loose. Once I clicked on the alert to get rid of it, there was no bouncing iTunes in my Dovk which I thought strange as my iPod was still connected.

Don't worry I am almost there.

So I manually launched iTunes, but to my chagrin, there was no iPod listed in the Source bar on the left. I went to Preferences and clicked on iPod but, HORRORS, to said "No iPod Connected", even though the iPod registered with 4.8 when I first used it just over an hour earlier. Additionally, there is no mounted iPod volume on my desktop. BUT, when I run Apple System Profiler, it shows the following iPod info associated with my Firewire:

iPod:

Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
Model: iPod
Speed: 400 Mb/sec Speed
Firmware Revision: 665344
Unit Spec Id: 24734
Unit Software Version: 10483

I launched an older version of iTunes, as I've more reliable history with 4.7.1 and...same thing, it didn't see it. I went to my Home Library folder and removed com.apple.iTunes.plist, com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist and com.apple.iPod.plist. No effect.

I repaired permissions, yet again. No effect.

I rebooted. No effect.

One would think that an empty iPod would still be seen by iTunes and by the Finder, so is their a plist I am not seeing? Say some sort of firewire plist?

I went looking in iPodlounge for some answers, but saw none. same for MacNN. Are there more comprehensive Mac or iPod knowledgebases?

I fear something fried. I pray NOT my Pod. It would make no sense. Anyway, I never know when to disconnect the iPod from the docking bay, because of that foreboding "DO NOT DISCONNECT" warning on the Pod's screen. Since there is no mounted iPod or one listed in iTunes, I have no way that I can see to eject the Pod. I figure, my last best hope is to eject it, disconnect it and then reconnect the Firewire bay and then the Pod. Maybe to my wife's iBook first.

Any help you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. I needs my tunes...

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:39 AM 

Okay, I was told to be as detailed as possible, but as I read that post, I realize that it might be more than most are willing to read thru, so here are the major points:

I have an iPod, it used to work with iTunes, now it doesn't. In fact the iPod volume isn't mounted on my desktop.

I cannot eject the iPod seemingly safely.

I fear my firewire or, worse, my 40 Gig iPod might be fried.

Please Help!!!

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:49 AM 

Rex,

If your iPod volume isn't mounted on the desktop, then your iPod isn't really communicating with iTunes any more. Therefore, regardless of the message, it should be safe to disconnect it. The message is there to tell you not to disconnect the iPod while it's communicating with iTunes.

I guess the first step is to disconnect your iPod and reconnect it and see what happens. If that doesn't work, can you connect the iPod to your wife's Mac and see if that works?

Hopefully, you have your music backed up on your Mac and it isn't just on the iPod. If that's the case, and the iPod is still under warranty, then the worst case is that the iPod goes in for repair. That's assuming that the problem isn't your Firewire port. Based on your description, I wouldn't think that's too likely.

Bob C