ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:30 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:12 PM 

(Posting from Rex's wife)

I have been using an Apple bluetooth keyboard with my PowerBook since I got it last October.

I have some intermittent problems with it, and just wondered if these are standard or whether I really have a bum product. I can deal with these problems, but they are really REALLY annoying. ':angry:'

(1) Sometimes it just quits working. It doesn't actually disconnect, but if I turn it over, I see the little light is not lit. I turn it off and back on again. THEN I see the "disconnect" icon on the screen, but when I turn it back on, the teeny light comes back on and the keyboard works again.

(2) This is the worst part. Sometimes I will hit a key and it will repeat very FAST until I turn over the keyboard and turn it off. This is usually just a matter of a couple hundred i's or m's ... BUT once I hit the delete key and it kept backspacing wiping out all my text until I could get it turned off. (Thankfully I was working in Word at the time, and could get back my original text.)

Any idea what might be going on here? It seems to have gotten a bit worse over time - though I may just be losing patience with the problem. Other than all that, I love this keyboard, and wouldn't give it up for the world. It's the best touch I've ever used -- coming from a keyboardist of some merit in my youth-hood.

-Suzanne

oh, and Fishers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:39 PM 

Suzanne,

Hopefully, Mark Kippert will see your posting and respond since he has the exact setup (Apple Bluetooth keyboard and PowerBook) that you describe. Unfortunately, I don't own an Apple Bluetooth keyboard so I really can't help with that.

The main reason I'm posting is to ask you if you want your own account. That wouldn't be a problem to set up. Your family is one of the few with more than one active Mac user on the message board. Therefore, it stands to reason that you might want your own account.

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1085179222

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:35 PM 

Not sure what the problem might be. I've had no problem with mine. Have you kept current with updates? I did recently have firmware and software updates related to Bluetooth.

If you go to Apple's Support page and search keywords 'PowerBook Bluetooth' you'll get a return on the latest items. You'll probably also get them if you run Software Update on your PowerBook.

You might also read this FAQ on Apple's discusion board.

The article mentions interference. This might be a cordless phone (many are 2.4Ghz like Bluetooth) or even magnetic interference from speakers.

As for the firmware update, I believe this is for the keyboard itself.

Worst case, you could turn off the keyboard repeat rate in System Preferences until Apple resolves the problem.

BTW, if you purchased AppleCare, you have 3 years of unlimited phone support (90 days if not) which should include resolving the Bluetooth issues.

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:56 AM 

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the ideas, and I think this may be exactly what's going on.

My keyboard, when I'm at my desk, is surrounded by wireless things ... my Microsoft wireless mouse (not Bluetooth), my wireless headphones, a wireless telephone (though not 2.4Ghz), my cell phone and probably things I'm not even thinking of. This just makes so much sense, because the problem just pops spontaneously out of nowhere.

I also took your EXCELLENT idea and slowed down my repeat preferences -- so when it does happen, it's not so disastrous. What a great idea, and I never would've thought of it.

I think I've installed all the most recent Bluetooth updates, but I'll double check that when I have a moment.

I'm not sure the problem can be totally resolved, but the repeat key setting is a really effective workaround.

Thanks! :D