ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 3, 2004 10:13 PM 

I have a brand new HP1300 LaserJet that is USB. Does anyone know of an easy and hopfully cheep way to share it with 2 Macs??

:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 3, 2004 11:17 PM 

Randy,

Is there any reason why you don't just turn on "Printer Sharing" in the Sharing panel of System Preferences? There is an obvious limitation in that the Mac with the printer attached must be left on in order to share the printer.

As far as I know, "Printer Sharing" works between an OS X Mac and an OS 9 Mac. However, someone else on the board will probably have a better answer for you on that.

I am assuming that the two Macs are already networked together in some way (i.e.: Ethernet cable, Airport).

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1081048703

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 4, 2004 10:10 AM 

Bob

I think part of my problem is that I am not sure on the proper way to connect everything. Right now the printer is directly connected to my G4 via USB which in turn is connected to a router for the internet. Do I hook up the other Mac to the router?

At CompUSA they suggested a PrintServer. The USB cable from the printer connects to the server which connects to the router. There was a CD with drivers and utilities but its Windows only. I still tried it, setting up the admin software on the PC (also on the router). The PC sees the printer but not the Mac. I went into the Printer Setup Utility on the Mac and tried various settings, but no go. This might work but I am not clear what I need to do for the Mac to see the printer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 4, 2004 1:50 PM 

Quote:
Do I hook up the other Mac to the router?

Either the other Mac would have to be hooked up to the router or it would have to have an Airport card if you are running a wireless router.

Quote:
At CompUSA they suggested a PrintServer.

You could do this, but you were looking for a cheap way to share the printer. As you've also found, some print servers seem to only work on PCs. For instance, I found a USB printer server at IOGear, but it only supports Postscript printers on the Mac. I don't know if using something like Ghostscript would get around the requirement.

To me, the easiest answer would be to connect the other Mac to your network (either by an Ethernet cable or an Airport card). When you do that, you should be able to simply turn on Printer Sharing to share the printer. With Panther, I was able to turn on Printer Sharing and Windows sharing to allow Windows to use the printer that's directly connected to my Mac. To get the PC to print correctly, I had to pick a Postscript driver to make it work.

No, I didn't think that all up by myself. I found a hint here.

Bob C

Edited By Bob Carpenter on 1081128053

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 4, 2004 4:53 PM 

OK right now the printer (HP 1300) is connected to the G4 via a USB cable. It has postscript 2 capabilities. The G4 is connected to the router (as is the PC and there is a cable for the iBook) The iBook has an Airport card so it can connect to the internet via the router, but the router does not have wireless print functions. (It was cheep)

I think you are saying that if I connect the iBook to the router and if I have print sharing turned on on the G4, I can print to the printer from the iBook as long as the G4 is also on. Correct??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 4, 2004 6:27 PM 

Quote:
OK right now the printer (HP 1300) is connected to the G4 via a USB cable. It has postscript 2 capabilities.

If you use Printer Sharing, it doesn't matter if your printer supports Postscript (mine doesn't) or not. Postscript only comes into play if you're using a print server.

Quote:
The iBook has an Airport card so it can connect to the internet via the router, but the router does not have wireless print functions.

It doesn't matter if the router has wireless print functionality. I've had so many problems with the Extreme's USB print sharing that I don't use it anymore. I can use Printer Sharing with the US Robotics router that I'm testing out for the May demo and it works just fine.

Quote:
I think you are saying that if I connect the iBook to the router and if I have print sharing turned on on the G4, I can print to the printer from the iBook as long as the G4 is also on. Correct??

That's exactly what I'm saying. Let me know if you have problems. Is the PC attached to the router or have a wireless connection to the router? If so, you might be able to eliminate the print router entirely. I'm currently printing from my PC to the printer attached to my Mac. It looks like I'm limited to 300dpi doing it this way, but I'm not producing high-quality output from my PC anyway.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 8, 2004 10:30 AM 

I managed to do exactly that - share 2 printers - by accident. A happy accident. I installed an airport card in an old Ruby imac. (bought card off sale table for $20. New I think are $70)
I have the Ruby out on the show room floor with an HP printer attached. In the back room I have a white new iMac with an epson printer great for shipping labels and checks. It also had an airport card. One day when I went to print out front I noticed the shared printers tab and looked inside. BOTH printers were listed. I wondered could it be possible - yep - I sat out front and printed in the next room. That was too much fun so I went in the back and printed to the front. It worked both ways.
So; 2 airport cards, probably printer sharing turned on in both machines, probably one set to make a network and the other to join the network. Assuming I paid full price for one card my total investment was under $100.