ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:58 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:41 AM 

Yet another installment of "my computer doesn't like me"...

So I had set up my 30G hard drive with two partitions, one 10G, one 20G, approximately. I figured that since OS X needed to be on the first 8G, 10 would be good. My logic may not have been accurate, though, because the OS X installer tells me the disk is not within the first 8G of the disk (well, it is the first partition, and it is 10G) I was told it may be that the first partition needed to be under 8G not over 8G, so now I'm left scratching my head over what to do and if this is truely the case. I have alot of stuff backed up on the larger partition and I don't really want to reformat it now. There is only one drive currently hooked up, using the internal ATA/IDE connection. The drive has no jumper pins since the manual said none were required if it was the only drive, however I was wondering if I needed to put them back on as master to make it work. I still have the 6G that came with the Beige G3, I suppose I could hook the two up as master/slave and hope OS X would install on the 6G drive, but I'd prefer not to do that. (Because I never bought that IDE cable to fit through the case.)

RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:12 PM 

Ricky, I would assume you are referring to Jaguar, not Panther. Is this correct? Panther cannot be installed on a beige G3.
As for the accuracy of the first 8gb.
Yes, it does need to be LESS THAN 8gb. I would recc 7.6 or so.
If you don't mind slave/mastering your drive, the idea of adding the original back in isn't so bad. Beats backing things up yet one more time....
Good Luck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:47 PM 

Oy!

Jaguar, yes. Now I need that cable. I don't mind the two drives, its just akward how the two are positioned in the desktop case, one's on the very bottom of the case, and the other is above the Zip drive, so you need a specially spaced out IDE cable to make them connect. I gotta go dig out the name of the place that had them.

I've been told there are some people working to make Panther run on an older G3 but I'm not real worried about doing something like that right now. Jaguar is fine with me, all it needs to do is run iComic, Fire, Safari (even though its got some issues, its still fast for general browsing) and some other stuff I'd like to compile and run that wouldn't work on a laptop because its not always connected to the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:16 PM 

Quote:
I've been told there are some people working to make Panther run on an older G3

I would assume those people would be using the 3.0 alpha version of XPostFacto. I don't have any experience with the product, but it seems to work for people who have older machines that aren't supported by OS X. Obviously, Apple doesn't support this setup, but some people look at it as a way to extend the life of their system.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:47 AM 

Yeah that was the name of it. I think I'm just going to reformat the 30 Gigger, I went and bought a 200G firewire external last night so, I can back up the hard drive pretty easily now. (Now I'm poor) While I'm not sure if you can install OS X on an external Firewire Drive with a Beige G3 using a PCI card, the drive already has backups from the laptop on it so it wouldn't work anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:22 PM 

Just a note. While I have not tried to install Panther on a Beige G3 myself, I was talking with a fellow the other day who said that his attempts (a couple I think) to install it resulted in the Beige Mac losing touch with the CD-ROM drive.

He told me that after installation the CD-ROM drive was no longer 'visible' to the computer. CDs would not mount nor did it show up in the Apple System Profiler. He also indicated that going back to Jaguar didn't restore the use of the drive.

That's the first I had heard of this so I don't know how widespread the problem would be. BTW, he didn't mention the need to use any kind of utility or application to force the installation of Panther so I can only assume he did it via a standard install.

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:07 PM 

Mark,

I didn't think the beige G3 had built-in USB and therefore isn't supported by Panther. I would think that the OS X install program wouldn't have even completed without some sort of hack involved.

Bob C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:47 PM 

No built in USB here. When I had this machine custom built, USB and Firewire were options to have added, but I'm pretty sure all they were doing was adding PCI cards, I don't really see any place to put "built in" ports on this thing. Speaking of which, I haven't really heard any definitive yes or no whether or not taking the PCI cards out before installing OS X is something to worry about, does anyone know what the general consensus on this is?

While I am likely going to put some my tax refund towards Panther for the iBook, I'm not going to attempt it on the G3. As clingy as I was with OS 9 in the beginning, at this point I can't wait to stop using it daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:14 AM 

Bob Carpenter wrote:
I didn't think the beige G3 had built-in USB and therefore isn't supported by Panther. I would think that the OS X install program wouldn't have even completed without some sort of hack involved.

Bob, you're correct, the Beige G3s never had built in USB or FireWire. Nor will Panther support the Beige G3s. I had read about that prior to Panther's release which is why I've never attempted to install Panther on a Beige G3.

As for my friend who did install Panther on the Beige models, I was just describing his experience with it. When he told me about what happened to him I explained to him that Panther is not supported on the Beige models and it would be in his best interest not to attempt any further installs.

I would guess that there will be third party utilities, such as XPostFacto, that attempt to circumvent Panther's reluctance to install on Beige G3s, but obviously it will be at the users risk.

-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:42 PM 

I got 10.2 installed without any noticable problems. The system is a litle slow but thats to be expected. Unfortunately after installing the 10.2.8 combo updater via Software Update, the computer now freezes at random. I started off the 10.2 CD and ran Disk Utility and it told me there were two overlapped extent allocations. I did some checking and this doesn't to be a completely uncommon problem, so I found a few different methods for dealing with it, restarted in single user mode and ran fsck. Of course, it showed nothing was wrong. Eh, what the...? So I started off the CD again and it now shows nothing wrong. I think its just messing with my head at this point.

I'm going to go ahead and repair permissions and see what happens. When I tried to repair them originally (when booted from the hard drive) it froze up mid way. I'm booted off the CD right now so I'll repair them this way. I haven't done any searching yet to see if totally complete and random freezing is something that happens on Beige G3's or not. So far everything was going just fine.

UPDATED:
I haven't had any more freezes yet, but I have had the monitor just.. shut off. As in the yellow light came on like it would if the computer were off or had put the monitor to sleep. Its very odd sitting there trying to do something and your screen goes blank. Granted, the bars were equally annoying on the iBook, but still.

UPDATE 2:
Well, no more freezes. I have been on IRC, using Fire, playing with iComic and the Terminal, playing iTunes music, and watching Inuyasha eps on mplayer. Unfortunately during one episode the screen went black again. It was as if the computer went to sleep for some unknown reason. I'm really not sure whats going on. I didn't have any luck finding any similar occurances when I snooped around for some advice but I didn't look too hard yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:38 AM 

Well, its been a week and the system will still at random shut the monitor off. I can't tell if its gone to sleep or not, but nothing will make it go again that I've tried, and programs that were running before the monitor went off appear to cease functioning once it is off, so going to sleep sounded like what it is doing. Unfortunately, with it doing this seemingly at random (I've notice no similarities in what I was doing when it happened) I can't really justify using OS X on my Beige G3 regularly, until I can make it not take naps whenever its bored. Aside from that problem, everything seems to have installed fine, runs fine, looked good. I've tried repairing permissions, running Cocktail, and Disk Utility. Still takes naps. I'm at a loss, I checked some forums on mac fix it and saw nothing that sounded like my problem.

RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:20 PM 

Ricky:

Apparently this is a known issue with the beige G3. Here's a potential fix:

Quote:
On 05:38pm Dec 30, 2003 CDT, Sandy Hinding wrote:
Subject: RE: Screen Turns off at most power-ups

There is an incompatible graphics driver that is installed with 10.2.8 that
causes G3 AIOs to blackout-
The fix is fairly easy -Remove the folder from the OS- but MUST be done on any
G3 after updating to OS 10.2.8.
To remove the file (after updating to 10.2.8)

1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
2. Type:
sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIDriver.bundle /Users/Shared/

Note: There is a space after "mv" and another after
".bundle".

3. Press Return.
4. Type
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
5. Press Return.
6. Restart the computer.

What this does is move the file in question from the OS into the users>shared
folder, where it can stay...

Hope this helps!

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:58 PM 

Quote:
Subject: RE: Screen Turns off at most power-ups

Well, my problem was not exactly at start up, but I have tried it anyway because nothing else has worked. I will have to wait and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

RL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 3, 2004 7:12 PM 

Code:
Last login: Wed Mar  3 01:52:18 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
 6:10PM  up 2 days, 13:09, 2 users, load averages: 0.64, 0.20, 0.18
[Mercury]:

The monitor has not mysteriously turned off anymore, so I am going to assume that corrected the problem! Now my only remaining obstacle is classic mode. Thanks for the info, Andy!

Image RL