ApplePickers
* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:11 PM

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 4, 2003 12:31 PM 

I was at a church garage sale two weeks ago. I normally go every year because when the school cleans out their computer lab, there's lots of cheap parts. Such as, Mac Keyboards and mice for 50 cents (ADB) and PC keyboards and mice too, and monitors for $5, and then some museum pieces like Pentium 1's and 2's running WIndows 95 and the like. (Someone had even donated a PS/2 and the computer teacher was using it as a focal point for some jokes.)

Anyway, there was a LaCie SCSI external hard drive sitting there, with no cables, no nothing with it. No one knew if it worked or not, or how big it was, so it was 50 cents. I bought it, thinking, hey, if nothing else, free case. It turned out the hard drive works. I ran Norton (AV and DD), Disk First Aid, and a few others just to make sure the thing wasn't going to crap out on me right away. Its a 2G drive, with two partitions, one is 20M one is 1.99G. I haven't figured that part out yet. It also has Mac OS 8.0 installed on the larger partition. Its a small drive compared to what you can buy today.. but 50 cents? I have some ideas how I can make use of it.

The Silverlining driver on the drive is 5.8.1, which I found out is a bit out of date. Unfortunately, the drive did not have the Silverlining software installed on it, and I cannot use the updaters from LaCie, since I do not have an original copy to be updated. My question is, do I need the Silverlining program to use this drive (under OS 9.2) properly? LaCie's site says it is not needed under OS X, however the desktop isn't using OS X (yet) Can I use use Apple's Drive Setup to reformat it, or should I just leave it partitioned the way it is, with the older SL driver and live with it?

Apple System Profiler tells me the disk is a Quantum Fireball. I do not have any model number of the drive because there's none on the case, but the first partition was named "La Cie 2110-Q" Would it be possible to pop out the drive entirely and put in a bigger one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 4, 2003 12:51 PM 

Ricky:

As you said yourself, 50 cents!? Considering what you paid for it, and that it has no data on it that you wish to keep intact, I'd say wipe it. If drive setup sees it, chances are that it will initialize successfully. Also, be sure to "update disk drivers" under the Initialization Options menu.

If you manage to screw things up, you can always pull the drive out of the case and format it inside a scsi-equipped older Mac, and then pop it back in.

If all else fails, I'm sure that someone has a copy of the silverlining software laying around someplace.

Nice buy! I might have to start frequenting these yard sales/auctions...

Andy

PS: You should be able to put a larger drive into the case. I had an old 40mb external SCSI box that I sucessfully put an 8gb drive into. Good luck!! :D

Edited By Andrew Cunningham on 1065286535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 6, 2003 6:18 PM 

Apple's Drive Setup should work just fine on it (it will either work or it won't). If Drive Setup says the drive is unsupported then your out of luck. Otherwise it will simply work just fine. I would just choose to initialize it and (I believe) under options select a single partition. Of course make sure it's extended.

I've also found that many drives that were not supported under Drive Setup in OS9, are now supported by Disk Utility in OSX. So if it doesn't work under OS9 then try OSX. If all else fails and you decide you need a more current version of Silverlining let me know, I can help you. I would try to use Apple's utility first though.

Pretty much any other 50 pin SCSI 2 drive should work in the case ifyou want to go larger. Just make sure you have your jumpers set properly (termination, term power, spinup etc.). Just about all the manufactures have their drive settings posted on their site. Even for older and discontinued drives. Either go to their website or try to Google the serial number.

HTH,
-Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:42 AM 

I've never formatted a drive larger than 250M before, so I don't know how long this should take, but its going on 1.5 hours now, and its still sitting here with a spinning beach ball saying "Writing the driver on the disk..." The drive is in use, I dunno what its doing. I don't know if I should let it keep going or shut it off, but I had set it to 1 partition, extended, and told it to initialize. Unfortunately, I can't test this with OS X because I have no way to hook a SCSI drive to the iBook. Things just are not going my way today at all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:17 AM 

Ricky,
Did you choose to 'Zero' the drive?
A quick erase should have taken seconds.
A full erase (zero'ing the drive) can take a very long time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:44 AM 

Nope, thats what I was thinking but I didn't select that, it just froze saying it was writing the driver. After 3 hours I gave up and shut it off, brought it back up, and tried again. That time I told it to zero all the data. (Bye bye old files!) And its working normally now, all one partition. Now to fill it up with stuff. :D

Thanks!

RL